8.5.05

Wait, it's cold out there...

Nevermind getting my music minor signed off on, on Thursday I got my whole degree signed off on. Which means I won't be in school until December like I thought, I'll be in school until August, when I'll be taking two six-week-long summer courses to finish up my last two requirements. This was completely unexpected. My advisor just handed me two requirements I didn't think I had completed, and then told me I should attend the departmental graduation in a few weeks.

The news left me feeling stunned and kind of numb, and like someone was pushing me out the door before I'd gotten my hat and coat. I walked around campus, realizing that this was the end of my last semester here. These are some of the last days I'll be walking around as a student here. The end of student discounts, the end of having a key to a practice room with a piano all my own in it, the end of being able to take a literature class, or a Russian class, or any class, just for the heck of it... So many things I have come to take for granted will just be disappearing in a few months' time, yet I won't have the advantages that other people have who have been living in the "real world" for a while now. It's kinda funny, since college seemed so much the "real world" after being cooped up in my parents' biosphere for so long, yet now I realize just how truly it was just a step towards the actual real world.

What will I be doing now? I'm going to have a period of a year and a half waiting for Isaac to finish his degree, before we can move out of this wretched place called Long Island. So I'm thinking, since I don't want to quit my lessons before I absolutely have to -- I've got too much personally invested in so many of my students, plus the fact that I love it, I'll try and get some part-time temp work for the mornings. That'll give me experience doing different things, and give me some much-needed padding for my bank account before I venture off to a new place to start grad school and/or make a new life. That is, unless my Preview Gallery work starts paying off more, and then maybe I can afford to just stay home and work on that.

In the meantime, I hope to rediscover the things that I once did to relax and express myself -- reading , composing and recording, exercising for fun... And maybe even start some new hobbies. I'm obsessed with getting a bike so I can ride around and feel the wind in my hair. I guess that's all I really need sometimes... the wind in my hair.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone who took nine months to kick and claw her way from college into the real world--firstly, congrats! Even if it doesn't feel like a good thing just yet. Secondly, thus far I've been finding that the real world isn't too bad even when you're a bit behind the curve, as I was. You can afford to take your time and try things out a bit, which is good. You'll catch up quicker than you think.

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home