27.10.05

Computers for Kids

It's been a while, eh? I've been keeping quite busy, despite my new "graduate" status. All the way back in late July, I embarked on a project for my fiance's non-profit, to build a Linux computer lab for a classroom in a public school in the Harlem area of Manhattan. I had to procure equipment (eBay... oy vey!), which included hurdling various difficulties with crappy/faulty computers and not-completely-above-the-board sellers. But in the end, I got ahold of five good, used mini-computers, five nifty, HP flat-panel monitors, a flashy, brand-new Dell server, and all the various peripherals and networking equipment to go with them. I set them up so that the "clients" could boot Linux from the server, over the network. It was pretty cool, in the end, after all the tears and hassle. My progeny was shipped off to the school one week ago. It was supposed to be done, originally, in late August, but for various reasons, both my fault and the sponsor and school's, the deadline was pushed back several times. Bad communication was to blame for many of the trip-ups in the timeframe. And for the record, I have said that I never want to do this again. But time will tell.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are they teaching kids Linux in schools now? Cool!

Btw, why do all your old entries come out underlined now?

12:57 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Although teaching kids Linux wasn't the primary aim of this project, it will definitely give them exposure to and some experience with it, which is a plus in my book. The next generation should know that there's something out there besides Microsoft. :)

My entries are underlined? Perhaps there's a glitch in my code somewhere -- a tag left unclosed. But I'm not seeing that in my browser.

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed they should, and I think they will.

And, uh, I'm using IE6.0. What were we just saying? *blush*

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home